It is difficult to resist counting each last when something comes to an end. For example, this is the last time I will be in the TCNJ library for...a very long time. Ever since Governor's School, this library in Ewing NJ has managed to be a little haven of mine. I've gotten so much done here, at times, and at others I was just wasting the time, or passing it depending on what you believe in. Anyway, as I was saying, it's hard not to count things like that. Tonight's the last night I'll be sleeping in my bed.
I must admit that I find it slightly awkward to write in this journal given the spectrum of people that may possibly and logically end of reading it. I don't quite know how to bridge those audience gaps without inhibition. At this point, to prevent such stifling of the telling of tales, I will have to agree with myself to put you the audience out of mind completely. This creates a danger in itself...but after all, you would not be here if you did not want to be.
This week, I have been running around every which way getting everything together. After a few farewell trips to Chipotle and a farewell party with my family on Wednesday and a farewell freakout from the clerk at Efingers, all is beginning to settle into place. Today I spent gathering and printing out all the relevant information, ranging from program info to country history and culture write-ups. I'll have something to read on the plane (I almost wrote plain), if that were an issue. Which reminds me that I want to read 100 Years of Solitude on this trip, though I don't know if it would be better to read it as 100 Years or Cien Años. Then tonight Av is coming over; we'll have Indian food and watch Doug and/or Curb as I pack, and if I have time I'll get around to that smelly English coursework. Anymore, I'll probably have to spend some time on that next week. Así es, though, no importa.
I wonder if every trip to come will seem this huge, or if it's just this one, since it's the first real one, or if it's because I'll be gone for six months to a place I've never been to, primarily on my own hard-earned dimes, thousands of miles away from the TCNJ library. In any event I really cannot wait - my flight leaves tomorrow at 10:30 PM.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
hey dann this is cool commmentary missing you already dad
Hey dann this is Mark, I just set up Mom a blogger so they can comment on you without it being "anonymous".
Hi Dann,
We miss you already too. Hopefully you're having a good flight and getting some last minute shut eye before your big adventure. Gotta go, I hear Alexi crying.
Love you.
Sorry Dann, that was me. I guess Markie will have to set me up too.
Aunt Jenn
hahaha. I have safely arrived and everything is great so far. Miss you all too - tell the twins I miss them as well.
If you just select "Nickname" when you make a comment you can say who you are - that way you don't have to log in each time.
hey dann, i'm impressed with your first day. i guess you are a natural with travel. looking forward to more commentary.
Hi Dann,
Glad you arrived safely. Don't forget to say your prayers at night. Love you,
i love that you got your family to add the n.
Post a Comment