Sunday, May 18, 2008

in a game, a decent game

I was thinking of the foods that I miss and they could not be contained in a 5-item list. I think it's going to be more like 10...

10 foods I will promptly, systematically eat when I go home:
1. Pizza. Mangia Bella and beyond. Plain, white, all. Not to mention the NJ shore!
2. Bensi
3. Panera
4. Chiptole - oh, burritos
5. Lentil soup, soy milk, and other organic delicacies
6. Indian food!
7. Thai yellow curry dishes
8. Chinese food too I suppose
9. Diner food. A warm belgian waffle or a grilled cheese.
10. And ah, why not. A nice juicy cut of Arthur's steak, while I'm at it! And a decent burger! And a real fucking ice cream cone!

OK, so I've gotten a little crazier in May than in the trip's heretofore. After two, almost three months in Argentina, I'm coming to grips with the fact that the food here ain't the best and it's starting to get to me. I don't claim that New Jersey is the culinary capital of the world, but with adept picking and choosing (such as my own) you can manage a solid array of tasty eats.

5 things Argentina is good at making:
1. meat - see last post. delicious and without hormones. but it's very fatty and they don't seem to care.
2. empanadas - when they don't put hard-boiled eggs in them.
3. tarta - a sort of pie with thin bits of dough on the top and bottom, filled with vegetables and ham and cheese. comparable to pizza but a far way off
4. dulce de leche - you can't get this in the US. it's a thick, all-purpose caramel paste that makes any old cake or pastry a privilege to eat. If that didn't convince you then you'll just have to trust me, it's good. And by the way, when I said ice cream cone, I did mean the cone - their ice cream isn't the problem, the ice cream itself is good, Italian style; it's the nasty cones that are the problem! They don't even eat them themselves! back to business...
5. uhhh...potatoes. they do have very good potatoes.
5. I forgot, wine! scratch the potatoes. their wine is divine.

I'm being nice by not mentioning their pizza.

Anyway...now that I've gotten that of my chest...I'll retire now as food critic and later on this week will write a more general update. Hope everything's well at home. Go eat these foods for me. Cherish the availability!

P.S.
I'm currently reading The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway, and yesterday watched the movie Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. The movie is definitely recommended for anyone feeling in the political dumps. Music, playlists, gathering ideas for what to share with the students, and if not Simon & Garfunkel, Os Mutantes, cLOUDDEAD. TV...Seinfeld, of course.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of your list of foods you miss I have eaten 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, and 10 (ice cream cone) in the last week. hahahaha. jealous?

Anonymous said...

Gnocci and Vodka Sauce?

Anonymous said...

you know me all to well, Stef Handel

Anonymous said...

Avni ate that with me and anna!
I love Mr. Smith Goes to Washington!

Be safe, please.