Wednesday, March 19, 2008

means of transport

I've said some more goodbyes, this time to the lovely Irish - shall I count the ways?: April, Anneli, Finn, Karolina, Kate, Kathy, Linda, Mark, Mike, Paul, Siobhan, and Thomas. First, as orientation to Argentina and the teaching program, we had an overview of the program and received information on our families, then presented the projects on culture that we'd prepared (e.g., Irish writers, sports, food, etc. - I shared some American indie music, Desparecidos...heheh). There was also a talent show, and I had 2 entries - an excellent dance, and the recital of a new poem. Highlights include the puppet show and Mark and Mike singing Sinatra.

After that, the theory for the week of last Tuesday to yesterday was to create a Spanish immersion camp. I don't know if you could call it immersion, but there were 3 different teachers and 2 different classes, and Spanish was indeed spoken. There was clown time, where we were meditating clowns. There were bonfires and we learned a few songs in Spanish, anthems we were sick of hearing by the end of the week (but couldn't get them out of our head). I got ice cream in the town center, got filmed and interviewed, danced a little bit, met the small-town locals and bought each other beer, witnessed a local dance party called a murga with the guys pounding massive drums and the girls doing a bold, methodic dance to the beat. Met a 63 year old writer, divorced, waiting for the train and asked about his craft - his favourite newspaper is the most critical and revolutionary one. Went on swings in the town at 2 AM on a Sunday night, and you know what, the local children were there too and we were very confused. We mades movies, which should be on the internet soon and I'll post the link. And I should get pictures off everyone else shortly. Just as a warning, I have a beard. Shaved the moustache for the movie though.

I feel so lucky though. The Spanish immersion was subpar, and I didn't learn enough to make the week worth it in itself. Actually, more than anything else, I was immersed in Irish culture. They're every bit as crazy as you'd imagine them to be. You see, I hadn't at all been expecting to make friends with the other people in the program before I came. I thought I was be going right to my placement. This was a pleasant surprise and definitely turned out for the best; there will be excursions over the next few months, and we'll meet up a few times at least before leaving; they, like me, return home at the end of July. Also if possible they will meet Av in July, along with the teachers...I have sewn the seeds for a dance party in BA.

Of the 13 of us, 10 went to their placements last night, except for me, Mark, and April. Me, to finish getting certified to teach English, and Mark and April because they were flying this morning to Chile (everyone else is in Argentina for their placements). We spent the night with the teachers, going to one of their apartments and ordering in pizza and empanadas. My empanadas were so good, and we chewed the fat until midnight or so listening to Nirvana, Frank Zappa, and a mix that inspired the aforementioned dance party seeds.

This morning then, I woke up with Mark and April - that is, I woke them up for their flight - then did preparation for my course. I had to go to a school in Buenos Aires, and give my music presentation to a class. It was a class of 12 students, aged 17 to 19, and they were all friendly and amazing at English. I was quite blown away at how fluently they all spoke and how responsive they were to the music I brought (Desaparecidos, Man and Wife series, pretty nice to come all the way here and listen to them; and so apropos that their name alludes to Argentinean history, which impressed the students very much). On the side I asked them to give me a slang word each to help me out over the next 4 months. It went so much better than I'd thought - I was pretty nervous - but we went right up to the end of the clock.

I got a bus home and, in true Dann style, got lost. I hate buses. I didn't care though. I bought a personal pizza for $3 and took a cab home for 4. And now the time has come to pack up my stuff, and leave soon for the bus station. My bus is about 7 hours long, and I leave at 7 PM...should be arriving at 2 AM? Makes no sense, but the ticket was free and I'll just sleep the whole time.

By the way, I'm reading The Rum Diaries, by Hunter S. Thompson. Mark lent it to me. I was trying to read 100 Years of Solitude in Spanish when that so much more inviting book took my attention. Anyway, cheers to all! (In my head I am still hearing ceaseless voices with maniacal Irish accents. I do not mind so much.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've fallen in love with Tables and Chairs. It's so good. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Danny, I've been reading your blog and find it very interesting and funny! Proud of you Dan, be safe, have fun. Auntie Donna

Anonymous said...

i forgot about this blog. but i saw avni, which prompted me to see how your exploits are going, now that you've 'left the rainforest' as she said. have fun at your placement!!
-danielle